Located in South London, Kensington district, on Exhibition Road, building was built in 1881, by the civil engineer Captain Francis Fowke who died shortly afterwards and the project was undertaken by Alfred Waterhouse .
The final version of the architectural scheme after his many alterations consisted of one edifice in a rectangular plan, with two tall towers , grand portico, all in a romanesque style – what must have been quite unusual and peculiar but still within the high Victorian style.
The external elevations was made mainly of brick extensively cladded with the colorful terracotta mouldings manufactured by Gibbs and Canning Ltd, featured many relief sculptures of flora and fauna to liven up a Victorian buildings in the area.
Nowadays the building is a perfect centre of entertainment for the families and nobody gets out of the building bored or disgusted .
No 4 London’s most popular museums – it is really brilliant and it’s dinosaurs skeletons’ collection is truly impressive 🙂